Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Look Upward and Come to Me

My sketch from 10/20/2014

When a baby learns to walk, it stumbles and falls often. On their own, they carefully watch their feet and wobble unsteadily a few steps at a time. But when a parent is in front of them calling to them and encouraging them, the baby looks up and locks eyes with the parent they love and trust. Their arms reach out and they focus on what’s before them. If they stumble or lose their balance, they know Mom or Dad will catch them, encourage them to keep moving – as long as they keep their focus on their parent.

And when they succeed? Their family sweeps them up and smothers them with love and praise in the excitement.

Monday, while listening to a sermon/class discussing the importance of each of us looking upward so that Zion can look downward, this image allegory played through my mind. I’m not a great artist, but I hoped to share with others how much of our call is all contained in something so simple to comprehend if we allow ourselves. 

Jesus calls us to: Come unto Him, be innocent and pure like a little child, and look upward and keep our focus on Him.

If we could each focus our personal walk to matching this, imagine the example we can set for those around us and the call that would go out simply from showing love and devotion to our Savior Jesus. Abba. Our Father.

After I was finished with my sketch, I thought it was interesting to see how other parts of the picture played into the message unintentionally (at least by me). It's in the baby's room, it's safe zone and home, Jesus meets us wherever we are and calls us out of our comfort zone to focus on Him and move into a bigger world. To leave the distractions of our toys/life and choose His Holy Spirit as our comforter over the pacifiers and safety blankets we cling to. And just beyond Jesus? The toy box full of treasure. Once we come to Jesus, there is so much more waiting for us after we join in that relationship. It's open a bit to give us a glimpse of what's to come, but we must look up and keep our eyes on Jesus, steadily walking in to the arms of our Father to receive the blessing of knowing ALL that treasure box holds in store for us. 

I so often find the stories or art I create for others actually teach me in ways I hadn't expected. I know others will see them differently, but I hope that they touch your heart in some way too. 

“And this is mine everlasting covenant, that when thy posterity shall embrace the truth, and look upward, then shall Zion look downward, and all the heavens shall shake with gladness, and the earth shall tremble with joy;” - Genesis 9:22 I.V.

“No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just.” - John 6:44 I.V.

“And behold I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.” - 3 Nephi 5:66 BOM

“Now this is the commandment, Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day.” - 3 Nephi 12:33 BOM

God Bless! 
April

No comments: