Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Long Distance from Cloud Nine

Song Stuck on the Brain: Forever by Mariah Carey


I am floating high on cloud nine. Why? Because I got a surprise phone call last night.

Remember the Daphne contest? I entered as a last minute lark hoping for some helpful feedback from the judges. When I didn't receive a phone call by the date listed on the website, I assumed that meant I didn't final - and I wasn't really all that shocked. Until last night when the contest coordinator called to tell me that BURNING JUSTICE, is an Inspirational finalist in KOD's Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense, Unpublished Division.

WOW! You could have knocked me over with a feather. After thanking her, I hung up and screamed while doing the snoopy dance. Jack thought I had lost it for sure. It was a fantastic way to end what had been a crummy kind of day.

I sent in my 2nd round enteries in today. The judges are Melissa Endlich of Steeple Hill (editor) and Karen Solem of Spencer Hill Associates (agent). I'm not sure when they will announce the winners. The ceremony is held at the RWA conference in July this year, so I assume they'll do it then. Even if I don't place, maybe I'll get a request for a full anyway...
I can't help but hope that I'll place after making it this far, but to be honest I'm just psyched to have finaled at all. It's a great opportunity. And to make it even more fun and exciting, a fellow critique group member, Kelly, is also a finalist in the same category. How cool would it be if we both placed?


A.

No comments: