Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Thin Gold Line - Guest Author Rachael Tamayo

I'm excited to welcome a brand new guest blogger today. One with an awesome job. A job I'm certainly not cut out for, but I have a ton of respect for those that do. But, why don't I let her tell you about it. 


My other job

Someone is breaking into my house.


I think she's dead.

I can't tell if he's breathing.

I need police, hurry, but I don't know where I am.

I've heard all of this, and then some, in my ten years as a 911 operator and police dispatcher. I've talked to distraught mothers and fathers, grown men that sob into the phone, scared children. I've also talked to numerous liars, criminals, mentally ill, and a few murderers.  I am that disembodied voice that you call for help, then forget about by the time the police, or maybe a fireman or ambulance come to your rescue. We are not remembered - destined to be called upon and then fade into the background.

They call us the thin gold line. It's a rare breed that can do this job and stick with it. It's said that less than two percent of the population can handle it. The turnover rate is astronomical. Honestly, I think you have to be just a touch crazy to want to do it, and even more so to be good at it. I can't tell you how many police officers I know that have stepped into my dispatch center and told me, "I don't know how you do this."

Those of us that do this, we do it because it's who we are. We love it. We're OK with being forgotten, yelled at, cussed out by strangers on a daily basis because they're just having a bad day. We all know that it's not about us, so we take the abuse and keep smiling. Why? Because we helped. 

There's no glory for us dispatchers. We don't need it. Just give us a Thank you from time to time and that's all we need. Glad to help. OK with being forgotten, as long as we were able to help you in your time of need.

I've been asked once or twice, how does doing this job help you in your writing? I've always been a writer, since I was a child. I suppose being submerged in such a wide range of human emotion on a daily basis gives me an insight that most people don't have. Like any other dispatcher, I have an ability to insert myself into the mind without losing my own in the process. This is the reason I can capture these feelings so well.

So what's my book about? It's book one in a series about good friends falling in love.  In book one, Adrienne Lawrence trips over her own big mouth when she lies to her mother about having a boyfriend when her mom's nasty comments about not having a date for a family wedding get to her.  Thank heavens for her close friend Clint. He steps in, agreeing to play the part of the devoted boyfriend at a week long venue wedding, saving her from embarrassment. After days of pretend kisses and smoldering looks, the lines between what's  pretend and what's real start to blur, and Adrienne has to fight her confusing feelings. The last thing she wants is to lose her friend, or become one of the women he leaves behind.

Author and Dispatcher Rachael Tamayo
My name is Rachael Tamayo and I work for an agency in the Houston, Texas area.  I'm also a wife and mother, and a writer. My first book is in pre-publication with solstice publishing. 

Please follow me on Facebook here https://m.facebook.com/Rachael-Tamayo-1600504033593522/

and 

Twitter here: https://twitter.com/rtamayo2004


For updated information regarding the release of my first book, Chase Me (title pending approval) book 1 in the Friend Zone series.  Check me out on the Web at http://www.rachaeltamayowrites.com


Thanks, Rachael for doing such an amazing job and being for guest blogging today. Be sure you check out her page and watch for her new release. I know I can't wait to read it. :)

No comments: