Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Masked Bandits the Real Culprits


Well, I was wrong. It's not squirrels. It's raccoons. Filthy little buggers. They're making a mess in my attic and keeping me up all night. Momma Coon planted her nest in the ceiling right over my bed. Now I get to hear the babies coo and chirp all night long while she's out hunting. It's not like I volunteered to babysit for her or anything. When she is home, she's running around and leaping from the rafters. In fact, it sounded like she was bowling the other night. I finally got a professional wildlife handler to come out and set live traps for me yesterday. I came home to find that the traps were set and at some point during the day, a puddle of pee had soaked through my ceiling. Let me tell you, THAT is disgusting. Nastiest smelling stuff I've smelled in a long while. I fabreezed and opened all the windows and still couldn't make the smell go away completely. I did manage to sleep all night last night, however, my house was a chilly 52 degrees when I got up this am and the pee still stinks. I had to order a special urine deoderizer stuff on line, but it could be a week or more before I get it. I may die of pnemounia before then unless the weather warms up at night.

Part of me - a very SMALL part of me - feels bad for the babies. They're so adorable! I don't want them or the mama hurt, just relocated. But after finding the pee stain on my ceiling, my sympathies have waned some. Cute or not, I want them out! Talk about adding insult to injury!

I'm going to go home and Fabreeze my ceiling again.
A.

1 comment:

April Erwin said...

Yep, but not because she wants to. She piddled around trying other options before I finally just called a professional. I'm deducting it from my next rent check. On the bright side, the coons appear to have moved out. Haven't heard hide nor hair out of em for 4 days. I think we're ready to close up the THREE holes in my roof...