Monday, December 18, 2006

Before I Wake by Dee Henderson

Song Stuck on the Brain: Except for Mondays by Lorrie Morgan

Except for Monday which was never good anyway/Tuesday I get a little sideways/Wednesday I feel better just for spite/Thursday and Friday take too long/Before I knew it, Saturday's gone/But it's Sunday now and you can bet that I'm alright...

I woke up singing this one. Haven't heard it in years. Kind of fitting though.

I finally got the chance to read Dee Henderson's lateste novel Before I Wake. I've had it from the first day of it's release, just hadn't had the chance to do anything about it, despite my extreme anticipation.

I wasn't disapointed.

Nothing inspires me more to write, then a Dee Henderson book. They're just so well done. I'm always blown away and then I can't wait to get in there and make mine better than it is. I don't want to be a Dee copycat, but if I could just write as well as she does, wow. I would be so psyched.

This latest novel follows ex-FBI agen Rae Gabriella as she moves to small town Justice, IL to start a new life as a P.I. Her first case at initial glance doesn't seem to be that exciting, but the more she digs the more the body count rises and her own life is threatened. Drugs, intrigue, shoot-outs, fast cars and even a little romance are all woven in seemlesly with a solid message of Jesus' love.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one mind you, is that although the main story is wrapped up, there are a few threads left dangling. I have a feeling it's because this is probably the begining of a series, but Holy Cannolie, I don't want to wait another year for the answers!

Oh, I will. With baited breath no less, which is probably the point, but this is the first one of her books where I really felt like I was left hanging on the end. Sure, with the O'Mally series I was on pins and needles until the next book came out, but not in quite the same unfinished business kind of way.

I checked Dee's site today in hopes that she's announced plans for the next book, but no news yet. Which means I'll be reading all my other books in the TBR stack and in the back of my mind I'm going to be wondering, "Who IS IT?"

Still, it's a fantastic read and so worth the time invested. Her books just never fail to thrill. You won't be sorry, go read this one.

And Dee? If you read this? Type faster please, we're dying for the next one. :)

A.

No comments: