Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I Wanna Make You Blush...

Song Stuck on the Brain: Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day



There's a new reality show on VH1 called Mission: Man Band. Their mission is to bring four former boy banders together to form a new group and hope they can make it big - again.



I wouldn't watch it, except that Chris Kirkpatrick of NSYNC is one of the four. The other three are Rich Cronin of LFO, Jeff Timmons of 98 Degrees and Bryan Adams of Color Me Badd. The first episode was interesting. We'll have to see how the show plays out, it's too early to say whether it's good or not.



It's interesting to see the guys again after so many years. And to be honest, it's a little unnerving to realize just how long it HAS been. Nsync was probably the most recent to still be cranking out the tunes, and that's still been like 5 years ago. The one that really threw me though, was Color Me Badd. I really only knew one of their songs. Who didn't know this one? I Wanna Sex You Up was a huge hit and a huge scandal. I think the only reason that song really sticks out in my mind though, is because of where I heard it.

I was 13 when that song hit the top 40, and I wasn't allowed to listen to it. Not that I didn't still hear it. They played it everywhere. One night Angel and I were coming home from the Mall. Traffic is always heavy around the Independence Center, with a lot of teens just out cruising. Noland Rd was the main drag strip, but there was still carry over by the mall. So, we're sitting at the stop light on 39th street, when a pickup truck pulls up beside us. I've got my window down and I look over to see two hot, older teens. The driver smiles at me, cranks up his radio and I Wanna Sex You Up comes pouring out of his truck. He gives me the "Hey baby" nod and I turned six million shades of red. I just turned, looked straight ahead and pushed the window button. I could hear them laughing as the window slowly slid closed.

I was so mortified. They did it just to embarass me and boy did they. Now days I'd probably just roll my eyes and ignore them, but back then it was way easier to make me blush. To top it off, every time I hear that song, I feel like I'm 13 and pushing that window button all over again.

They really were very Badd boys.

A.

No comments: