Monday, February 27, 2006

Haunted Email and Caribou Queen


I was working along, lost in my own world, when my email beeped at me.
You’ve got mail.
It was from Uncle Kenneth…. He’s dead.
My uncle died August of last year and I haven’t received anything from his email account since then. Mom thought it had been closed because Aunt Ruth didn’t know how to use it. Well, either she’s taken a crash course, or Uncle Kenneth wants me to know that:
a. A WOMAN IS LIKE A TEA BAG...YOU DON'T KNOW HOW STRONG SHE IS UNTIL
YOU PUT HER IN HOT WATER.
b. BEHIND EVERY SUCCESSFUL WOMAN IS HERSELF.
And
c. I'M OUT OF ESTROGEN And I HAVE A GUN.

I responded with a “Helllooo? Is that you Aunt Ruth?”
No answer yet. I guess if I’m going to be haunted, I couldn’t ask for a friendlier ghost.

After Kenneth the friendly ghost, I tuned into my favorite radio station on-line. It plays a wide variety of stuff from the 80’s, 90’s and today. Elton John, Michael Bolton, Backstreet, Ronnie Millsap… (Told you it was a wide variety.) This song comes on by Billy Ocean and I’m like, ‘Oh yeah, I like this one… Caribou Queen, now we’re sharing the same dream… no more love on the run.'
And it hits me.
Caribou Queen? That’s really weird. So I looked at the player to see what the title is and yep, I got it wrong. It’s Caribbean Queen. That makes SOOO much more sense. I can’t believe I’ve been singing Caribou Queen for 15 years.

What is it with weird 80’s lyrics? There was a song by Mr. Mister that I used to sing along with in the car on the way to Jr. High. “Carry a Laser, down the road that I must travel. Carry a laser, through the darkness of the night...” Makes sense right? Futuristic flashlights and all. Yeah, figured that one out recently too. Kyrie eleison is Greek for “Lord have Mercy”. DING, DING, DING! Another song suddenly makes a whole lot more sense.

Makes me wonder what other songs I’ve screwed up.
A.

No comments: