Friday, September 15, 2006

Little Hands – Big Hearts Part 1

Song Stuck on the Brain: Piano Man

Well, you asked for it, so here it is. :) The following is a series of essays I wrote a few years back. I had thought I would turn it into a book, but so far I don't have enough completed for a book format. Plus, I've got a couple of other works in progress that are demanding more time. I thought I'd share them here.

Enjoy,
A.

Little Hands – Big Hearts
The Things I’ve Learned as a Surrogate Mother

Introduction


“It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.”
There is not a better quote that expresses how I feel. Children are a joy, a trial and a barrel full of fun. They have taught me to see the world through not only the eyes of a child, but through the eyes of those around them. Their cynicism and sense of humor are taught by our examples, and they are quick learners. It didn’t take long for me to see that children are actually chameleons. Their imitations are cute until you realize that the bossy attitude, the wacky laugh and the nervous habits are actually reflections of you.

I live with my aging parents, who are known as Nana and Papa, and together the three of us do our best to care for the now going on 5 children. Both of my parents use canes and have arthritis. My mother’s is the worst. One afternoon, Chloe, who was two at the time, walked through the living room of our home, hobbling and grunting.

“Look,” she said in an angelic voice, “I’m Nana!” I laughed because I knew there was no malice in her actions and because she had been very observant in her study. She’d nailed the Nana impersonation.

My goal in writing this, is to not only preserve all of the humorous and wonderful stories of their childhood for them, but to share with other parents, aunts and uncles and any other “surrogate” parent, the joys, the trials and all that I’ve learned.

More than anything though, I want to share that it was worth it.
(c) April Erwin
All Rights Reserved

No comments: