Thursday, September 28, 2006

Violet Dawn by Brandilyn Collins

CFBA Book Review:

Violet Dawn by Brandilyn Collins, which released in August of this year, is published by Zondervan and is part of Brandilyn's new Kanner Lake series. There are two other books to come...Coral Moon, releasing in March of '07, and Crimson Eve, releasing in September of '07. You must also stop by and visit Scenes and Beans, the REAL blog for the fictional Java Joint coffee house in Kanner Lake. This is a unique marketing tool for the series, involving about 30 other writers (including several of our CFBA members), and eventually involving readers of the series who want to audition posts.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



From the Cover:

Something sinuous brushed against Paige's knee. She jerked her leg away. What was that? She rose to a sitting position, groped around with her left hand. Fine wisps wound themselves around her fingers. Hair?She yanked backward, but the tendrils clung. something solid bumped her wrist. Paige gasped. With one frantic motion she shook her arm free, grabbed the side of the hot tub, and heaved herself out.

Paige Williams slips into her hot tub in the blackness of night...and finds herself face to face with death. Alone, terrified, fleeing a dark past, Paige must make an unthinkable choice.

You can go HERE to read a first chapter excerpt. But using Brandilyn's famous tagline....."Don't forget to breathe..."

My Thoughts:

Go buy this book now. I mean it. Well, you can finish reading my blog first, but then you HAVE to go get this book. I love a good suspense novel and I've always enjoyed Brandilyn's style, but I think she's outdone herself this time around. You probably all know that she's one of my 'author heroes'. If I can ever get my writing to reach this level, I'll be very happy.

But this about Brandilyn, not me.

The characters in Violet Dawn are quirky and yet very real. It's a small town where everybody is in everybody else's buisness, so when Paige moves in with past full of secrets things are bound to get exciting. The very first page had me hooked. I felt myself in that hot tub with wet hair grabbing me. I don't know if I would have had the courage to do what Paige does, but desperation can drive people to do things they would never have imagained. What's great is that Brandilyn shows us just how desperate we can be given the situation, and just how great God is to find us in that dark place.

Seriously, I can't recomend this book enough. So go get it now and don't forget to come back and tell me what you thought.

A.

1 comment:

David said...

VIOLET DAWN, by Brandilyn Collins, is a gripping tale. Of course any of us who've read any of her works before would be shocked at anything less. Her characters are not only real, but painfully real. I mean BC makes you go through situations that you'd prefer not to. Like Vince Edwards always lamenting Tim's untimely death. But Paige, well, you get sucked into a vortex of fear, anxiety and pure panic, and it's all real (at least while you're reading the book). Word of caution to previous BC readers, she's switched up a bit on her style. If you're the kind of person that likes things limited to around 3 points of view this is going to rock your boat and sink it. I encourage you to stick with it and let her take all the subplots and tie them together in her own fashion. Until then, you will feel a bit confused at times. Don't let it bother you. She still packs a wallop.