Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I survived the weekend

Well, I survived the weekend... now I need a real vacation. I actually looked forward to coming back to work at one point - and for those of you who know me, that tells you just how rough the three day weekend really was. We did manage to have some fun in between everything though.

Saturday we caught X-Men 3, which I LOVED. Wolverine is so hot. :) Plus, the movie was just plain good. Monday we celebrated my nephew's 21st birthday. UGH, that makes me sound really old, but in reality, I was only 8 when he was born. He laughed when I told him he makes me sound old and then had the audacity to tell me, "Well, you ARE pushing 30!" To which I responded, "HEY, I'm not pushing 30. Nudging maybe, but definitely not PUSHING. Don't age me too fast!"

I also caught a really terrific show Monday morning. I rarely watch talk shows, mostly because they're crap. Some are good, but then when am I home to watch them? Anyway, I caught The Montel Williams Show Monday, and they were focusing on kids with amazing talents. It was so incredible.

The first girl was Brittany Maeir. She's 16 and a piano virtuoso. Born 4 months premature, she suffers from blindness, autism and some other mental handicaps. Music however is her gift and passion. She composes her own music and now has a CD available to purchase from Barnes and Noble. She's fantastic and so inspiring.

Among the other guests, was Akiane, an 11 year old art and poetry prodigy. At the age of 4 she was drawing incredible portraits and sharing with her parents the dreams and visions of God, Jesus and paradise that she was receiving regularly. Her experiences changed her athiest parents beliefs. They're all Christians now. Her paintings are incredible. I've added her to my links on the sidebar if you want to read more about her.



















Another amazing little girl, Adora Svitack, is seven and has published her first book of short stories called "Flying Fingers". She's a voracios reader and writer (puts me to shame) and has an amazing gift. Her blog link is in the sidebar as well.



There were so many other too. It was so inspiring and it made me want to work harder at improving my own gifts and talents. I may never reach those same heights of grandeur, but it was a good reminder of what I've always said. Everyone has gifts, and it's our RESPONSIBILITY to discover them and use them to serve our Savior.

A.

3 comments:

Camy Tang said...

I totally want to see X3!!!

Camy

April Erwin said...

X-3 Rocked! Full of surprises too - and that's all I'm saying cuz I don't want to ruin it for anyone. :)

And I have to say I never thought I'd say I was ready for work either. Serious words. Of course by the time Tuesday a.m. rolled around, I would just have soon skipped work, but on Sunday - work would have been a relief. I REALLY need a vacation.... and I have no idea when I'm gonna get one. I'm day dreaming of a secluded cabin in the mountains with nothing but me, my books and my computer. :)

April Erwin said...

Aw that sucks! Unpaid holidays, how Un-Patriotic! :) We get the fourth off paid. Thank goodness!