Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tribut to 9/11


Saturday we went to see the new movie United 93. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I know there has been some hullaballoo about it being to soon, or that it was just sensationalizing someone's tragedy. But after seeing it I can say that it wasn't sensational in that sense.

I think the oddest part of watching the movie for me was that somehow it felt like I was watching one of my own life events on screen, even though I knew none of those involved. I've seen a lot of 'true stories' on screen, but I never identified with any of them like I did United 93. I can only guess that most people that see the movie will identify with it as well. How could you watch it and not remember where you were when you heard that a plane had crashed into the tower? Or watching every news cast to see what would happen next, sure that we were on the brink of an invasion of some kind. Despite the fact that the movie focused on that one plane and those that died with it, in reality it's event that all of America feels like they lived.

I'm glad they chose that part of the story to tell first, because it gives us hope in our strength as a people. Rather than focus solely on the terrorism, they lauded the real hero's and that made the movie worth watching - the event worth re-living.

The most impressive part of the experience though, was the audience's response. As the movie ended with the plane crash and the screen fades to black there wasn't a sound in the theater. Every one filed out of the room in silence. You could feel the somberness. It was a sign of pure respect for those that were brave enough to stand up.

Go see it - and be sure to pack your tissues.

A.

No comments: