Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, it's nearly one a.m. and I'm still up cooking for tomorrow's lunch. My brain is getting fuzzy and I get slap-happy when I'm this tired, so all that's coming to mind is this cheesy little poem I wrote. So read, laugh or shake your head and groan, then go have fun with your family.


Happy Thanksgiving

It’s Thanksgiving again – Hurray!
Time for turkey and dressing,
And more food than we can endure.
Yep, it’s Thanksgiving morning.
I baked the turkey all night
And now the scent fills the house.
And before it hits the table
We’re snitching bites by the ounce.
We’ve got homemade mashed potatoes –
(Not yams, not even candied.
Angel detests them you know,
So the yammies got whammied.)
We’ve got seven layer salad
Cranberry-orange salad too.
Then there’s the dinner rolls with butter
I’m running out of room – Whew!
Hold your horses, here come the pies.
Do I want pumpkin? Pecan?
Do I want whipped cream or ice cream?
Mmm-Hmm, pile it all on!
I feel just like that stuffed turkey
I’m too full to even move.
That’s when I stop and remember
How my family has improved.
They’re the best, couldn’t ask for more.
Then God sent us little kids,
And their parents soon joined them.
He blessed our family, God did.
It’s on days like Thanksgiving
That it’s easy to forget,
The reason for the Holidays -
It’s not the food that makes it.
It’s the love and the warmth we share,
Spending time with our loved ones.
It’s the thanks we feel in our hearts
For all the things God has done.
So Happy Thanksgiving to you,
To everyone of your kin.
Give Thanks to God for everything,
Then let the eating begin.
I told you it was cheesy! Now go eat more turkey!
Happy Thanksgiving,
A.

No comments: