Friday, November 18, 2005

A new addiction


Ah, the ballet. For many, The Nutcracker is a holiday tradition. But I had only seen it once, in high school, performed by a student troupe. It was rather lackluster. Last night changed all my preconceptions about ballet.

Angel and I had front row seats to see Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker. It was a one night only engagement and I loved it. First of all, just being in the grand old theater makes me feel special. (Don’t laugh, it does!) But when the curtain goes up and the music begins I feel energized.

The dancers are truly amazing. The strength and grace that they exhibit is truly inspiring. Now, I’m not a dancer. Not even a ‘dance-when-nobody-can-see-me’ kind of girl. I can’t do it. I don’t know how to dance and I have two left feet. However, I know that the work and commitment professionals put into their craft is immeasurable. And it showed last night. The dance of the Russian couple was incredible and the Arabian dance couple was so graceful, even sensual in a way.

What surprised me even more was how well they actually told the story without words. It’s really cool how just a small gesture or movement can express an emotion so clearly. The Magician was quite funny and really lent a comedic relief to the art that I hadn’t expected.

So now that I’ve experienced a real ballet, I’m addicted. I want to see Swan Lake, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle…. I had no idea that I would be that entranced by ballet, but I was and I think I’ll be seeing men in tights in a whole new light from now on.

A.

No comments: