Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tell A Fairy Tale Day!!

Song Stuck on the Brain: The Lady of Shalott by Loreena McKennitt


Today is Tell a Fairy Tale Day! What fun, right? I love fairy tales. I think the earliest book I remember reading - or having read to me - was Cinderella. My favorite book as a child was a collection of fairy tales and nursery rhymes. I remember reading it over and over.


And don't even get me started on the Disney movies. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favorites, Belle and I have a LOT in common. I seriously envy her library! :) Ending up with a super hot prince in the end isn't shabby either of course.


It seems pretty obvious to me that with that type of history it's not surprise that storytelling became my future. Whether it's classic or modern romance, I think think there is always an undertone of fairy tale to be found. But sometimes it's fun to write and read an actual fairy tale, don't you think?


I did. And my once upon a fanciful day of creating a fairy tale, eventually became a part of my modern day romance Dysfunction Junction. In the book it's written by main character Kianna Ravencamp. You've met Curly-Locks in previous posts for National Princess Week. Here's your chance to get a sneak peak at her story. Enjoy!


Cherry-Locks and the Three Men
(A sneak-peek from Dysfunction Junction by April Erwin)


Once upon a time and not long ago, there lived a beautiful (albeit large) young


woman with long flowing locks the color of black cherries. Cherry-locks, as her


friends called her, was friendly and intelligent with a winning smile and a


charming sense of humor. She had many friends, both guys and girls. But what she


did not have was a boyfriend.

One morning Cherry-locks awoke with a yawn and smacked her alarm clock.

As she rolled over to gain another nine minutes of sleep she noticed something

wasn’t quite right. She sat up and looked out her bedroom window. To her

surprise, it was not her quiet neighborhood street she saw, but a quaint little store.

She threw her covers back and stumbled to the window. All her neighbors’ homes

were gone and in their place, a misty haze rolled along the dewy grass. The store

looked like a tiny candy shop.

“Oh my goodness!” exclaimed Cherry-locks. “What in the world is this?” She

quickly donned her clothes and went down for a look. Upon exiting her small

house, Cherry-locks met a sweet little woman in a pink pants suit with poufy

blonde hair. She could have been about seventy, but her flawless make-up made it

hard to tell.

“There you are, honey.” The woman linked arms with Cherry-locks and pulled

her out onto the sidewalk. “I was beginning to think you’d never get up.”

Confused and still a bit sleepy-eyed, Cherry-locks looked at her quizzically.

“Who the heck are you?”

“Why, honey, don’t you recognize a Fairy-Matchmaker when you see one?”

The older woman said with surprise. “I heard you wish for the man of your dreams

on the turkey bone at Thanksgiving. So here I am to help you find him.”

“Thanksgiving?” Cherry-locks’ eyebrows shot to the edge of her cherry

colored hairline. “That was eight months ago. In fact, it was eight months and six

years ago. I’ve wished for the same thing every year.”

“Well, honey, you’ve got to give us time. There’s not many of us Fairy-

Matchmakers left and we have a lot of wishes to fulfill.” She propelled Cherrylocks

toward the store.

“It used to be we only had to answer the flower wishes. But now, with the job

market the way it is and downsizing and all, we’ve also been given the star wishes,

fountain wishes, turkey-bone wishes…” She shook her head dismally. “The list

goes on and on, so we’ve gotten a little behind in the wish fulfillment arena, but

today your name came up, so here I am.”

The Fairy Matchmaker paused in front of the little shop and turned to face

Cherry-locks. “Now I don’t have much time, so I’ll explain quickly what’s on the

agenda. The store in front of you is the Wish Fulfillment Center for Lonely Hearts.

Inside you can choose between three selected bachelors. I’ve personally screened

them to fit your general tastes. The one who’s just right is yours to keep. So, if

you’ll just come along with me, I’ll introduce you.” With that said, she once more

propelled Cherry-locks toward the front door.

continued in Dysfunction Junction by April Erwin

For more fun:

Which Fairy Tale Best Describes Your Life? quiz!

My quiz answer was Puss In Boots:

You are smart and capable of taking great care of yourself. No matter where you find yourself in life, you always have a plan, and just like a cat, can always land on your feet. a word of advice though - try helping others without getting them thrown into a lake. Naked.


If you enjoyed Loreena McKennitt, here's another one of my favorites.

No comments: