Thursday, March 01, 2018

February #TwitterTales - My Hero in Justice

Are you a Twitter lover? It's a question that usually sparks quite the debate. Recently I've joined with my fellow Solstice Publishing authors to explore a fun trend-Flash Fiction.

What a challenge it is too! Each month an image is chosen and we all write our own independent story centered on the image. What makes it so hard? Writing the story in only 8 Twitter posts with a maximum of  280 characters for each post. That's not a lot of words peeps! LOL

It was fun, though, and I'm looking forward to the next month's story. You can follow mine (and the others too) by going to Twitter and searching #TwitterTales. You'll find mine at @aprilerwin.

Now that February is over, I thought I'd share the full story here for your convenience. Be sure to watch for more Flash Fiction next month.


My Hero in Justice
April Erwin

“Justice Fire Department. Call out!” His voice cuts through the smoke like a lifeline.
“Here.” My voice cracks & my lungs burn. Eyes streaming, I search the dim haze for my rescuer. A gloved hand reaches out.  I lunge, gripping it with what strength I have left. I feel his arms go around me. My body lifts and I feel weightless in his arms. My vision tunnels as I hear him whisper, “You’re safe. I’ve got you.” I sigh in sweet relief.  
The cool air outside fills my starving lungs. I gasp, sucking it down. Settling me on a gurney, he steps back as an EMT straps on oxygen & checks vitals.
The flames engulfing my apartment hiss as timber groans under the onslaught of water.
He's removed his gear & Nomex hood now, revealing a strong jaw covered in dark stubble. Mahogany hair, damp with sweat, plasters his forehead. Gray eyes pierce mine. My stomach quivers & goosebumps run over my skin. I should have known it would be him
I want to crawl beneath his rough turnout coat and hug him for all I’m worth. To cling tight and never let go. “I was so scared, Jack.” I pull the mask down to whisper. “I thought I’d burn alive–that I would never see you again.”
Jack wipes the tears from my face and examines me from head to toe, ending with my left hand. He runs his thumb across the diamond before lifting my hand to his lips. Pressing a kiss to my palm he smiles.  “I’ll walk through fire every day to keep you safe. You aren’t getting rid of me that easily.”
I chuckle and break into a coughing fit. He slips the oxygen mask back in place and wraps his arms around me, pulling me close. My fireman, my fiancé, my hero.


No comments: