Monday, May 11, 2015

National Limerick Day 2015!

Song Stuck on the Brain:  An extremely unique bird call that reminds me of the MockingJay. I've been hearing it for 3 days and can't figure out what bird it is. I've listened to thousands of bird calls on line and Nada. I'm beginning to think this is  rare bird only I hear. Hmmm. There may be a story there...

Today is National Limerick Day! I had so much fun with this last year, that I didn't want to miss it again this year. I've written some original limericks to share.




And for all the struggling writers that spend more money promoting their books than they make but do it anyway because they love their craft: 


When I shared these with my mom, she immediately came up with her own starter: "There once was a chicken named Peepers, Who marched through the town wearing sneakers..." Then said she couldn't think of a way to finish it. So, working together, we came up with two totally different limericks. It's fun how the same starter can be so different. 

#1 
There once was a chicken named Peepers
Who marched through the town wearing sneakers
On his way cross the road
He gustily crowed
I did it ‘cause walking is cheaper.

#2 
There once was a chicken named Peepers
Who marched through the town wearing sneakers
He’d tiptoe behind
Anyone he could find
Squawking at them all “Jeepers-Creepers”

Which do you like better? How about you? Want to try a hand at it? The meter is easy, generally the first 2 lines are 8 beats and rhyme, the next two are 5 beats and rhyme and the fifth line is  beats and rhymes with the first two lines. 

Show me what you got or share your favorite limerick. :)

No comments: