Friday, July 21, 2006

Hillbilly Rockin'

I love Josh Gracin. His voice is so mellifluous... Okay, I'm done channeling Josie Grosie.

I do love his music though. Angel and I went with Judy and my nephew Ben to see him in concert last night at the Voodoo Lounge. Nice venue by the way. If you've not been out there, it's a great place for small concerts. Anyway, we had a table in the balcony that overlooked the stage, so we had a good view.

He really puts on a good show. Sometimes new performers like that, the shows can hit slow spots where it almost feels a little awkward, but he didn't have any of that. His band was great and he interacted well with them and the audience. He threw a ton of stuff to the audience. Playing on the drums with the drummer (multiple times) then tossing the sticks to the audience. He strummed the guitar and gave away the pick. Threw several free t-shirts as well as the hat he was wearing. At the end of the show, he took a stage towel and rubbed it all over the lead guitarists head and then his own before throwing it out too. I thought the girl that caught it was going to pass out. You could tell he was having fun and it was all a joke to him.



His music set was great too. He played all his own hits like Stay With Me (Brass Bed) - my favorite, Nothing To Loose and Turn It Up. He played some new songs from the upcoming album, like It's About Ya'll. Then he covered a variety of great hits from Journey's Faithfully, Garth Brook's Ain't Goin Down Til The Sun Comes Up, Mercy Me's I Can Only Imagine and more. It was really more of a Rock and Roll/Country concert and I like that mix. Josh has a real range to his voice and stylings, a lot more than I would have guessed from his Idol performances.

We really had a lot of fun. It was loud and exciting and that's what concerts are all about. I wouldn't be happy if I didn't walk away hoarse from cheering, rubbing my palms from all the clapping. We haven't done as many shows as I'd like this year, but we have a couple more coming up. I'm hoping to nail tickets for Josh Turner in September and Jeremy camp w/Hawk Nelson in November.

Rock on,
A.

No comments: