Monday, July 10, 2006

I'm Baaaack!

Oh my goodness, you all probably think I fell off the face of the earth.

Weeeellll, I did. Thanks to Superman’s Return though, I’m back. (Brandon Routh can save me any day!)


If you haven’t seen our Caped Hero’s return, go see it. It was great. I went with Angel and Eric. I don’t think either of them loved it as much as I did. However they each had different ideas as to why they didn’t like it as much as they expected to.

Angel didn’t like that Superman and Lois are still estranged. I say that’s kind of the point. You want them to be together, but you know that the chances of that working are just about nil. They’re star-crossed lovers. Always have been.


Eric didn’t like that (WARNING: SPOILER ALERT) Superman has a kid. I say that’s a great thing. Superman is super – not immortal. He won’t live forever. Plus, this gives him someone on this planet that he can relate to. He’s really not alone. I loved the way the movie dealt with this as a circle of life thing. Superman’s son is in the same position Clark was. He’s being raised as a normal kid with a foster father, but he’ll have Superman to teach him how to deal with his powers – just like Jor El did for Clark. You feel bad for Clark/Superman because he’s unable to have the kind of relationship he yearns for, but without that tortured soul, the story would have grown stale a long time ago. We may not have super powers, but a lot of us can still identify with Clark/Superman- especially the tortured soul part.



As for the casting, I think it was brilliant. I loved Brandon Routh. He was a great choice. He had big boots to fill and he did it with ease. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was a truly inspired choice. He made the cheese more believable. I was a little concerned with Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, but truly I liked her WAY better than Margot Kidder.


We also squeezed in The Devil Wears Prada, another fantastic movie. Don’t let the chick-lit angle scare you off. Meryl Streep was downright horrid in an absolutely fabulous way. I mean you just LOVE to HATE this woman. Anne Hathaway is stunning. I loved her in her princess form, but she really does have the acting chops to lead a film. She was great. Then of course there’s Stanley Tucci. When doesn’t that man give a fantastic performance? I love him! This movie was about so much more than funny clothes. I highly recommend it.

Okay, so now that I’ve got my most recent reviews out of the way and life is a little more on track, I’ll get back in to the groove of posting. My apologies for dropping out for so long.

See you at the movies,
A.

No comments: