Monday, July 24, 2006

Rising Superstars

Song Stuck on the Brain: Home by Marc Broussard

Wow, what a busy weekend. It started Saturday morning at 6:30 am (after only 5 1/2 hours sleep. That's my fault.) It was our writer's circles first meeting and I was hosting brunch. After that, it was pretty much non-stop. I hooked up with Angel and Ang for a few hours, then my three kiddos came to spend the night.

I wasn't sure I'd find something that they all wanted to do together. They're 11, 9 and 7, so getting them to agree on an activity to do together can be challenging. As it turned out, they found my mic setup for the computer and begged to record their own CD's. I thought, "Sure, why not?" They each picked two songs from my Karaoke set and then took turns recording. I was actually really surprised at how well they all did. They had one or two run throughs to 'practice', then I'd record - usually getting it in one or two takes. Trust me, we were not going for perfection here. I wanted it to be fun for them. To let them hear their voices and not be scared of it. They had a blast. They didn't always stay with the music and key was more of a 'suggestion', but what surprised me was how often they DID stay on key and with the music. For kids who have had no vocal training and don't sing in any outside activity, they show a pretty natural ability. Especially the youngest. She heard the cues in the music the quickest, although I think they all have a lot of potential. I'd love to see them get into music, even if it's only a school program.

Here's one of the songs that the 7 year old recorded.



Clipboard Secrets Funny Videos Funny

On Sunday, I took the kids to my parent's for family dinner. They all took turns playing their CD's for Nana and everyone else. My youngest niece (she's nearly 4) was all a twitter over it. She kept saying, "I have a song too." Finally, Mom said, "You do? Where is it?" She replied very matter of factly, "It's in my mouth." Cracked us up. We asked her to sing us her song, but then she got shy with all those eyes on her. Finally, she covered her own eyes (she thinks that keeps us from seeing her) and sang the worm song. You know the one - Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna go out and eat worms, Fat ones, Skinny ones... . You get the picture. She's so cute.

Man, life would be so boring without kids around.
A.

No comments: