Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Return to Narnia


Saturday I went with Angel and Kevin to see the new Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I read the books as a kid and loved them, but hadn't revisted them since. I know a lot of people were concerened they'd ruin the book, take out the similisim and Christian undertones, but they didn't. I loved it.

Everything looked just as I had pictured it in my mind when I read the book so long ago. Even the children fit the image in my mind. The creatures looked fantastic. Especially Aslan, the lion. You could tell they had put a lot of effort into him; and they couldn't have chose a better voice. I read that they had originally cast Brian Cox as the voice, (and I have nothing against him) but later switched to Liam Neeson. Great choice, Liam has the perfect blend of authority and compassion in his tone. James McAvoy was also a fantastic choice for the faun Mr. Tumnus. That's a character that could easily have been played creepy rather than sweet if the wrong person got the role, but he was great.

I'm crossing all my fingers that this one does really well, I'd love for them to do the rest of the series. If you loved the book, you'll love the movie. Even if you've never read them, go see the movie. I highly recommend it.

See you at the Lamp Post,
A.

No comments: