Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Author Aprlynne Pike's Wings

I just finished a great new book by author Aprilynne Pike called Wings. I'll admit, the first thing that caught my attention, was that in googling my name (yes, guilty) it brought up Aprilynne Pike. Hmm, interesting another author named April. It's not like it's a hugely common name, so it's always interesting to check them out. I pulled up her webpage and started reading.

"Aprilynne Pike's #1 New York Times best-selling debut, Wings, is the first of four books about a seemingly ordinary girl named Laurel.

Laurel discovers she is a faerie, sent among humans to protect the gateway to Avalon. Thrust into the midst of a centuries-old battle between faeries and trolls, she's torn between a human and a faerie love, as well as her loyalties to each world. In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever."

Okay, so that had me hooked right away. I love fantasy and anything revolving around the Fae and Avalon. They had my attention. I checked it out of the library and read it in one sitting. (just under 4 hours straight.) I loved it.

I noticed that author Stephanie Meyers (Twilight Saga) had commented on her books too.

"Aprilynne Pike's Wings is a remarkable debut; the ingenuity of the mythology is matched only by the startling loveliness with which the story unfolds."

--Stephenie Meyer, #1 New York Times best-selling author of the Twilight Saga

Impressive, right? Stephenie's right too. It's very unique and imaginative. And I won't go into detail so much as why because I don't want to give all the good stuff away. You have to read it for yourself. If you're a fan of Twilight or Harry Potter or anything like that, there is a good chance you will love this series as well.

However, don't think that this IS another Twilight. It has it's own unique brand of fantastic. I think Aprilynne Pike's books have just as much chance at becoming the next big phenomenon of YA lit, but I hate it when people try to promote them as the next SUCH and such.

Honestly, it's an insult to both authors. There will never be another Twilight. It is fantastic, unique, and inspiring. Anything touted as the next Twilight is going to be seen as a pale comparison. Totally unfair to the new author who's work might be great on it's own. And if it's not, how unfair to Stephenie Meyer's that her ground breaking work is being compared to something sub-par.

The same goes for JK Rowling's Harry Potter, George Lucas' Star Wars, or J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. There will never be another series like them. Don't try, don't compare. They are all legendary and deserve to stay that way.

So I'm NOT comparing Aprilynne Pike's Wings and following books to anything particular. Trust me on this one though, it is totally worth the read. She's turned the Fae into something completely new, and I love the twist.

The second book Spells is on hold at the library now. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

No comments: